Saturday, May 21, 2016

Fun with 60s Music Street Musicians


Wednesday, May 14-15-16ish, 2016
I was sitting at Mark's hot dog stand, having a conversation. I was about to leave when I decided to check on the guitar player across the street to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I do love live street music, and I'm not really picky about what it is, I just love the vibe of it. But, that said, I do have a special place in my heart reserved for music I actually know and like. That's a rare find. So I cross the street and I'm like, "Hey, I know this song. What is it? I couldn't place it at first, then after 2 or 3 lines I'm like Neil Diamond! and I start singing along to Solitary Man. Totally exciting. The guy was super nice and had a great personality, too. I told him how much I loved Neil Diamond, and he was like "Do you like Shiloh?" which happens to be one of my favorite 60s songs of all time. Oh, man, that was fun! I closed my eyes, let the emotion of the song surround me, and sang my heart out. He had a great smile on his face while he sang, clearly enjoying sharing the song with me.
I was late to meet a friend, but I called and let her know and decided I could stay for one or two more songs. I wished I had gotten there earlier! But I am glad I checked to see what it was. Now, of all songs in the entire world or even 60s universe he could have done, the next one surprised me and delighted me, x100.
"Oh, I could hide 'neath the wings
Of the bluebird as she sings.
The six o'clock alarm would never ring..."
It was the opening of Daydream Believer, which used to be like my #2 favorite song of the entire 60s. Monkees. Ohhh, fun, fun, fun, I've never heard that song sung live before. I had to go, but he said he'd do Simon and Garfunkel next, and I couldn't resist. Sounds of Silence. I was too tired to sing more, but I could have, and oh, wow, I would have loved to stay for like a whole half hour or hour. What a delight. I said "How do you know all my favorite songs?" He said "You're my biggest fan, everyone else has just walked by and not paid any attention. We made each other happy then! He wanted to take a selfie and I said Cool, and we had Mark take it so it came out good. Mark even offered him a free beverage cus he sounded so good and played a private concert right by the hot dog stand for us. smile emoticon He has a mailing list, so I might even get to see him again!
It is quite rare to even find a random street musician singing the Beatles, but to find one singing random awesome 60s songs that I have never even heard live before, *that* is a treat. I'll listen to most street musicians for at least a few minutes, but this was something else.
Then I went to the market to see Shirley, who gave me some useful advice and a lot of emotional support, encouragement and validation about trying to get services. She made me feel heard. I was late and trying to fit in a lot to the conversation so tiny bit overwhelmed, but in retrospect, that is what she did. I have only met her a few times before, but I am lucky to know someone like her. She knows the system because of her son, and she can help give me guidance about what I should do.
Then Ryan and Amber in the mkt, and came home.
Before then, Kathy, the friend of the lady who usually has the dog, in the western prom, some nice sun there. An accopello (sp?) female singing group in Monument Sq. This guy Wayne who said he knew me from somewhere. Turns out I went to see a room he had for rent 3 yrs ago and he remembered me from there. Said he was sorry the room didn't work for me cus he thought I would have made a great roommate!
So considering how bad I felt when I got up, and how depressed, anxious and hopeless I usually feel every day, and how little structure I had today, I made a good day out of my time today. I can be proud of that. The sun sure helped, but trying to reach out to people around me is what makes me feel safe, calm, and connected, for at least a few hours a day. Makes up for yesterday I suppose when I had very few connections.
You never know when you're going to find something that makes your world feel all right again. You may just turn the corner and find a 60s music singer.

Saturday, May 21, 2016
Post from FB, Second time of seeing 60s singer - John Kyle is his name. 

Ok. Before I get too tired. 60s singer.
He is so cool with the obscure 60s songs. Of all the Peter, Paul and Mary songs he could possibly have done.... He chose a little known song called "Day is Done" that I used to LOVE but hadn't heard in so many years that it took me half the song to remember the name of it. I love that feeling of familiarity, the excitement of anticipation, the sudden burst of realization when you figure out what it is.
Oh wow, I totally forgot just how amazing that song is.
Seriously. Amazing. PPM have a lot of great songs but he overlooked all the obvious ones and went for the true gem.
No wonder I'm so tired, lol. These were some quality songs.
Then he did by request Puff the Magic Dragon and some of Leaving on a Jet Plane, also Marvelous Toy! He did Troggs Love is All Around, Sound of Silence, I can't really remember the rest even though I wrote them down. 7 or 8 songs. Nate came by, and requested an Eagles song, which he did a few lines of .Nate liked it and tipped him.
Then there was American Pie... my request also... he did everything by request.... so anyway he only knew the first couple verses.... but I have had this middle verse of American Pie memorized since I was a kid...Never thought that'd come in handy... But he played the music on the guitar and I sang and I felt so powerful.... I was creating music where that had been none before.... I have never gotten to sing solo to .... music before. Like karoke I guess. I put so much passion into that verse. I felt confident. It felt good! We were trading lines of the song, trying to remember the lyrics. It felt good.
I just looked it up, I got the lyrics right! For some reason, these few verses have been stuck in my head for years. They're just so emotional, I love that.
"Did you write the book of love
And do you have faith in God above
If the Bible tells you so?
Do you believe in rock and roll?
Can music save your mortal soul?
And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Well, I know that you're in love with him
'Cause I saw you dancin' in the gym
You both kicked off your shoes
Man, I dig those rhythm and blues
I was a lonely teenage broncin' buck
With a pink carnation and a pickup truck
But I knew I was out of luck
The day the music died
I started singin'
Bye, bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
And them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Singin' this'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die"
This song has a lot of verses, lol
Then he actually knew some country, not to sing so much but was familiar with and liked, and did attempt a few verses of Whiskey Lullaby. Also he turns out to have been a computer programmer from LA, which Rob might be interested to hear! Spent like an hour there. Didn't know he'd be there. Got there at 3:45, left around 4:45. Knees are a little sore from trying to dance but hey it was fun. Then hung out with Nate at the market a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment